2009-02-06

Windows Vista is actually OK

Back in the days when Microsoft named the Windows versions by year - Windows 95, 98, 2000 - I had a "golden" rule: never install a Windows version on its year!

This meant that I would wait at least a year after release so Microsoft could finish the product. By the way, this is true not only of Microsoft software but of all software: complex software has bugs; new software has more bugs than older software (assuming it is still being developed, of course).

I applied the "golden" rule to Windows Vista: wait for the first service pack before installing it.

Now that I did, I'm happy with it. Windows Vista is not bad and is actually OK. It got very bad early reviews but now that hardware has caught up with it, and that many bugs have been fixed, using Windows Vista is actually an upgrade from Windows XP. It has several user interface improvements that are worthwhile. The main problem is UAC. It's so annoying I have my doubts it actually makes the system more secure. As a user I just want to click "continue" to get on with what I'm doing.


Screenshot credits: Paul's Computer Service

No comments: