2011-03-18

Beware of Greyhound's search bug

I have traveled with Greyhound in the United States for a few times and I think they provide a very useful and cost effective service.

Recently I tried to book a trip from (Rochester, NY) to (New York, NY) departing on a specific date: April 20th.

I filled in the search form as expected and pressed the search button:

Notice the departure date: April 20th.

A set of schedules were presented, similar to the following screenshot.
I picked the hour I preferred, proceeded to the next steps and purchased the ticket.

Notice the small date in the results... April 19th!

So far so good, right? No! :(

When I printed the tickets I realized the departure date was not April 20th as I had asked for, but April 19th! I went back to the site and checked if the mistake had been mine or not. There was indeed a bug in the web site's search.

Should I have double-checked the date before paying? Sure.

Should Greyhound's web site behave like this? Surely not!

I immediately contacted customer service and they replied a couple of days later, saying that I had bought a Non refundable Print at Home ticket, and that they I would not be able to change your departure date...

I was very disappointed, because I immediately contacted them after the mistake, and the error was induced by the web site's bug.

As it appears that there is nothing else I can do to change the ticket date, I decided to blog about this bad customer experience in the hope that Greyhound will fix their web site and avoid having more sad customers like me...

If you have had similar experiences, please feel free to share them in the comments. I appreciate your sympathy.

4 comments:

Sparrow said...

Good news. After a call to the customer service and a similar conversation with the representative at the bus station, I was able to travel :)
I had to pay a USD 15 fee for date change, but it's fair enough.

Also, recently I did a search on Greyhound's web page and it seems that the bug is fixed.

All is well when it ends well :)

Emanuele said...

I don't think it's a good news that you had to pay.
This is a video I did yesterday:
http://youtu.be/dBP5NqwXJ3o

It shows that the error is still there, and since they know it (we are not the only ones talking about this) it means they are taking advantage of it. Should you have double checked it? Yes, sure. But it's not at all fair that you have to pay to change it. The problem is the bug on their website, it's their error, not yours.
Just think about how many people already paid that 15$ to change something it was not their fault.

Sparrow said...

I understand why you are upset. I felt the same.

The reason I thought paying for USD 15 was fair enough was because I didn't double check the dates.

Also, I though the bug was fixed by now, but it isn't like your video and my screenshot show. It is important that it is fixed once and for all.

Greyhound, fix your website!

Unknown said...

No, the bug haven't been fixed. I hope I could see your blog before I bought a ticket on that stupid website last night in Hong Kong.