2010-12-13

Using delicious to map the internet

I've been using Delicious since 2008, and it has become a very important part of my "work dispatch engine".

Delicious is a web site where you keep a collection of your favorite bookmarks. The good thing about it, is that it is a Folksnomy. This means that you type words (known as tags) to classify the page's contents. Later, when you need to find your pages, you can search them using the tags.

For example, let's say I want to bookmark the following page on delicious:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jws19/index.html

I click the bookmark option on the Firefox add-on, and I would type the following words: IBM article 2010 java web service


Later, when I want to search my bookmarked IBM articles, I just go to my page and type the tag words:
http://www.delicious.com/mflpar/IBM+article

Delicious is also very useful to find out what other people are bookmarking. It is much more well informed than a typical Google query.
Before I finish this post, I just want to add some tips for choosing your tags wisely:
  • Don't glue words, separate them for more flexibility (e.g. type web service instead of webservice)
  • Use the word in the singular instead of plural (or the other way around, just be consistent)
  • Use the root word (e.g. name, instead of naming) whenever possible
Enjoy! :)

No comments: