2008-11-26

Computer protection policy

One thing is to teach computer security; another thing is living it! Due to the recent theft, I had to practice more of what I "preach".

I redesigned my identity management policy, using a multi-tier approach, to balance usability and overall security.

I upgraded the use of data security mechanisms. Consider Windows file encryption capabilities (don't forget to backup your certificate, though). If you're using a Mac, consider FileVault. TrueCrypt is also highly recommended, for the most sensitive files.

The data backup procedures were also revised. I finally finished a batch file script, relying on Windows robocopy. The easier it is to backup, the more often you can do it. This decreases the chances of data loss. However, remember to find an alternate, safe physical location for your backup disks. They won't be of any use if they're stolen along with your computer. You can also use an on-line backup service, for less sensitive data.

Currently I'm looking at GadgetTrak or similar service, to enhance the chances of recovering a stolen computer.

In short, take good care of your computer, and prepare for worst case scenarios. It can happen to you!

No comments: