2008-10-28

GIMP Script-Fu

I've just finished a couple of GIMP Script-Fu scripts. Both to automate the generation of smaller images.


I love the name Script-Fu, and indeed learning it takes some time, as any "martial" art... It is a Scheme dialect. Not the best language for scripting in my opinion, but after some trial and error the results were OK.

The documentation is also very scarce. The most useful resources I used were:
- GIMP Documentation chapter about Scripting;
- GIMP's procedure browser window;
- Example scripts included with GIMP installation.
Using just these it's almost impossible for a novice programmer to get over the learning curve before quitting. I know I almost did! I had to will myself to finish the scripts while looking to keep my programming skills sharp.

I also used DrScheme to try some Scheme expressions and for a more complete language reference.

No comments: