2007-09-03

Back to work: PhD Prologue

I'm coming back to work after a fantastic holiday with the people I love the most.

Now I've got my "batteries" fully recharged to start a new challenge: my PhD.

Before I enroll in the actual course, I'm doing something I named PhD prologue. I've been doing it since January 2007, but now it's focusing and intensifying.

During this prologue I spoke with several researchers and senior colleagues, looking for interesting subjects for my PhD.

I'm currently directing my preliminary research to the Internet of Things, that aims to leverage the power of the Internet and of the upcoming RFID technology.

RFID stands for "Radio Frequency IDentification" and is a technology that allows contact-less reading of data tags or sensors. In a world where each object is not only classified (with a bar code), but also identified (with a RFID tag), imagine the new problems (and opportunities) that are coming just around the corner...

The goals of the PhD prologue are:
1 – Delineate the research area
2 – Identify the players (industry and academia)
3 – Identify the main problems to address

I intend to write about these in a position paper. Then, the PhD can start!

No comments: